Musikelectronic Geithain, MEG, has a heritage of providing monitor loudspeakers for professionals who demand only the best in accurate sound quality and totally reliable performance. The professional ‘s living depends on such performance and in order to guarantee this MEG manufactures everything in house. MEG has developed unique solutions to address the inevitable room interaction problems that come with sound reproduction.
- K Technology Cardioid radiation characteristic is a unique feature of MEG “K Series” loudspeakers that directs the sound forwards from the speaker and minimizes sound wrapping around to the rear and sides. This reduces activation of room resonances that blur and muddle the sound. MEG speakers are less sensitive to room placement than conventional speakers and have very high intelligibility. Bass impact is optimized at the listening position and not wasted in the room.
- MCDS Coax (Minimum Colouration Directivity Steering Coax) technology controls the directivity of the loudspeaker and optimizes them for specific listening distances. Drivers are coaxially positioned creating natural sound images.
- Decoupled Baffles are used to mount midrange drivers and/or tweeters to isolate them from the main cabinet. The position and construction of the baffle is carefully calculated to act as a mechanical filter that reduces the slope of electrical filters required in the crossovers. This enhances clarity. Less electrical manipulation = more organic sound.
- Low distortion and low colouration is the trademark of MEG loudspeakers resulting from the above technologies in combination. The use of horns or wave-guides in front of the drivers is not used because these produce undesirable reflections near the driver and induce distortion.
- Amplifier and crossover modules used in MEG active speakers are optimized for the specific drivers and the enclosures they are used in.
- Sonic Signature - MEG loudspeakers have consistent sound throughout the model range so that they can be mixed and matched in multi channel systems without loss of coherence.
Active Loudspeakers - Most popular models listed, complete range available on request.
BASIS active subwoofers serve as the perfect complement for the lower octave of MEG active studio monitors and as central bass unit in stereo reproduction. Optionally, the BASIS model can also be integrated into surround loudspeaker systems with the MEG multi-channel bass processor BCU7.1. The subwoofer can be operated with suitable AV receivers to also allow optimal integration with our passive high-end loudspeakers.
For the active bass loudspeaker, MEG have developed a special long-stroke bass system that ensures low-distortion reproduction. The BASIS 11K, 13K and 14K have a cardioid radiation characteristic for minimisation of rearward room reflections. This so-called K Technology, which has already been used successfully for many years in their 3-way and 4-way active loudspeakers, features rearward-directed attenuation greater than 10 dB. Thus, excellent results can be achieved for room-dependent frequency response even in rooms with difficult acoustic conditions. This construction principle significantly simplifies the positioning of the bass loudspeaker in the listening room.
The power amplifier is operated with a 1000-W PWM power module. An electronic limiter protects the system and keeps the bass driver from overloading. An LED on the reverse side signalises activation of the protective device and operating status of the bass loudspeaker. The distance between front loudspeaker and bass loudspeaker may be between 0 and 1 m. In this range phase correction is possible. With an activatable high-pass filter, the threshold frequency can be raised to 40 Hz. The cut-off frequency can be adjusted continually between 60 and 80 Hz. The transmission range of the LFE channel ends at 120 Hz. The entire control and power electronics including all connecting and operating elements are integrated into the reverse side of the cabinet.
The BASIS subwoofers are optionally available with a grid cover. An output on the subwoofer allows the operation of the BASIS 11KP, 13KP and 14KP passive bass loudspeaker. This expansion provides a power doubling and makes the choice of the location less critical. Also, the system can be switched into bypass mode with the aid of a cable remote control. All output channels are directly connected to the input channels - the bass channel is deactivated, the LFE channel remains activated.